Lynton & Lynmouth

On Wednesday 6th July five SAM riders, part of the Last of the Summer Wine group, met at the M5 Services at Gordano services. We were Barry, Paul, Derek, Tony and me.  After briefing we headed South on the slab to M5 J23 and skirted around the top of Bridgwater and off to the Quantock Hills.

The birds were singing, the sun was shining, the steam train chuffing and all was right with the world.  We cut across numerous lanes, one of which we did twice as we doubled back after a senior moment.  We entered Blue Anchor Bay and headed to the Western end and the world famous Driftwood Café with its terraced tables and stupendous views across the Bristol Channel as the tide went out.

We all partook of refreshment and enjoyed the stop – a visiting cyclist was recruited to take the photo.

Once back on our motorcycles and across the West Somerset Railway level crossing we headed for Dunster on the A39. Dunster Castle was a real sight illuminated in the summer sunshine clinging to the hillside.

Porlock Hill proved entertaining as the X-Trail in front of me made a real haggis of a hairpin and very nearly stopped in an awkward place. I thought to myself, ‘please don’t stop just here’ and she didn’t. After much tyre squealing, the X-trail kept going and so did I!

As we reached the top of Countisbury Hill we stopped for leg stretch and admired the view across to Lynmouth.  We saw the cars of the furnicular railway crawling up and down the cliffs between Lynmouth and Lynton in their never ending journey that gets them nowhere in the end.

We rode down to Lynmouth and guess what – we partook of Fish and Chips. After lunch and a quick lie down; we oldies had promised our Care Home that we would… we took to the hills once again, across Exmoor to Simonsbath. The Exmoor ponies were not interested in our group’s superb group riding technique (it was actually very good all that day).

After Simonsbath we turned East and ended up in Bishops Lydeard for petrol and choc ices.  My Tiger didn’t need petrol but I did need a choc ice (no photo I’m afraid).

From their back on route to the M5 and home via Sedgemoor Services for our starburst finish.

I arrived with a big smile on my face and I hope others did too. The weather really helped a grand day out. On a private note, my knee and hip has now stood up well to three days successive riding and so the mini-tour in September looks even more likely.  I just have to see my consultant on Tuesday before club night.

Cheers Pete